CARING FOR A NEW PIERCING
We at ZZTop Tattoo want to give you the best overall piercing experience possible. Part of this is ensuring that you don’t have any problems after you leave us. As such we will provide you with instructions on how to care for your new piercing. Also you may use the below information as a guideline of what you should and shouldn’t do. Just Remember:
THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH A FRESH PIERCING, THE LONGER IT WILL TAKE TO HEAL AND THE CHANCES OF INFECTION ARE INCREASED!!
POINTS TO NOTE FOR HEALING PIERCINGS
- Be sure to clean your hands thoroughly before tending to your new piercing.
- Don’t touch your piercing or it’s jewellry (Unless cleaning it)
- Don’t allow other peoples’ hands, mouths or bodily fluids to come into contact with your piercing
- Don’t remove jewellry until the piercing is fully healed
- Don’t use tanning oils, lotions or cosmetics of any kind on or near your piercing
- Don’t soak the piercing in water. This may mean having showers instead of baths and avoiding the pool, spa and the sea
- Don’t use alcohol, peroxide, neosporin or anything else not included in your aftercare instructions (unless directed by your doctor)
- Avoid sand and tight fitting clothing which may irritate the piercing
GENERAL CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS
- Clean 2-3 times a day.The best cleanser to use is an anti-bacterial soap.
- Rinse away any encrustation and secretions, begin by washing gently and then rotating the jewelry
- Repeat 3 times, then rinse – it is important not to leave any soap on the jewelry or pierced area
- Repeat every 3-4 hours
HEALING TIMES AND SPECIFIC NOTES
EYEBROW, NOSTRIL, SEPTUM, EARS & CARTILAGE
- Clean as above
- Healing time for these piercings is around 6-8 weeks.
- Cartilage Piercings can take up to 3-4 months.
NIPPLES & NAVELS
- Clean as above.
- Healing times can range anywhere from 4-6 months plus.
NOTE:These types of piercings are fairly deep so don’t stop your aftercare too soon! They are still healing inside, so best to continue your aftercare regime for a short period after you think it is completely healed.
- Clean as above.
- Healing times vary but as stated above be careful to continue your aftercare for enough time to allow internal healing.
- Clean jewelry after urinating to prevent any build up of dried urine on the jewelry.
- If you have to have sex during the first few months after piercing, use condoms to protect the piercing.
- Rinse with a 50/50 mixture of listerine and water.
- Rinse first thing in the morning, last thing before bed
- Rinse anytime anything goes in your mouth besides water (such as food, sodas, cigarettes etc.).
- You will have to rinse at least 12-24 times a day
NOTE:Don’t use full strenght listerine – it can cause chemical burns and/or damage taste buds)
- Don’t drink beer during the healing process since it can cause a yeast infection.
- Ice does help the swelling or you may use an anti-inflammatory (such as ibuprophen, naproxen, advil etc.).
- Swelling usually lasts anywhere from 1-4 days
- Don’t participate in any wet kissing or oral sex for 3 weeks. Colds and viruses can be passed through semen and vaginal fluids. This could cause extreme swelling and possible infection.
- Healing times range from 2-4 weeks.
LIPS, LABERETS AND CHEEKS
- Cleaning should follow the General Cleaning Instructions above as well as instructions for Tongues were applicable.
- Healing time is around 6-8 weeks.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO STOP BY OR CALL. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!
Considering a new piercing? Check out some of our work here